Who built a mysterious stone structure that now rests on the bottom of Lake Seminole?
No one has seen the strange building in nearly 60 years, but speculation about it has focused on everyone from the ancient Mayans or Irish to General Andrew Jackson!
Two Egg TV has launched an expedition to find the structure. Rachael Conrad has Parts 1 & 2 of our special series. Part 3 will be coming soon:
Jackson’s Oven stood near Rhodes’ Ferry Landing on Spring Creek prior to the completion of the Jim Woodruff Dam in 1958. We go beneath the waters of the lake in Part Two of this series as our search gets underway. We will post a link to that part as soon as it is available.
The director of the National Park Service announced today that the historic Sneads Town Pump and log Community Building have been added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The application that led to the recognition was prepared by Andrew Waber of the Florida Division of Historical Resources with support from Connie Butts, the Sneads City Manager.
The Sneads Town Pump was erected in 1899-1900 by Gabriel Smith and was one of the earliest pumps of its type in the area. It stands on a lot of just over one acre that was sold to the City of Sneads by F.A. and Mittie Brown on February 18, 1899. The sale price of the land was $200.
Legend holds that “He who drinks from this pump will always return.” It was once a tradition in Sneads for local men to take any non-local grooms to the pump for a “drink” to make sure that they always returned to their bride’s hometown.
The Sneads Community Building is a charming log cabin structure that is, according to the application, a “locally significant example of New Deal architecture.” It was built in around 1936 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a Great Depression effort started by President Franklin D. Roosevelt to help create jobs for starving American families.
The structure was built using locally cut logs and features a beautiful stone fireplace and chimney. It serves as a community meeting place today and stands immediately behind the old Town Pump.
Both landmarks are located at 8025 Old Spanish Trail, Sneads, FL 32460.
The now defunct Jackson County Historic Commission placed a marker adjacent to the pump in 1970. The commission was an ancestor of sorts for today’s Chipola Historical Trust.
The listing of the Sneads Town Pump and Community Building on the National Register of Historic Places will shine a positive new spotlight on the community. Many travelers visit and photograph historic sites using the list as a guide.