Fort Gaines was an important military post of the First Seminole War. It protected the Georgia frontier in 1816-1821.
The fort was named for Maj. Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines, a hero of the War of 1812, and was built to guard the southern border of the Creek Nation as defined by the Treaty of Fort Jackson.
The fort served as a command post for operations down the Chattahoochee and Apalachicola Rivers in 1816. This expedition by the Lt. Col. Duncan Lamont Clinch and the 4th U.S. Infantry resulted in the bloody destruction of the Fort at Prospect Bluff (called the “Negro Fort” by U.S. officials).
Fort Gaines was an important supply depot and defensive point during the First Seminole War (1817-1818) and continued to guard Southwest Georgia and Southeast Alabama until 1821.
A reconstructed blockhouse, historical marker and interpretive kiosk mark the site of the fort in today’s city of Fort Gaines, Georgia. Markers, earthworks and a Confederate cannon mark the nearby sites of the second and third Fort Gaines, which were built in the Creek War of 1836 and the War Between the States (or Civil War).
The restored blockhouse is at the edge of the bluff near 100 Bluff Street, Fort Gaines, Georgia. See the map for directions: