Pittman Ferry, now called East Pittman Creek Landing, is a park and boat landing on the Choctawhatchee River in Holmes County, Florida.
Developed by the Northwest Florida Water Management District, the landing is adjacent to the State Road 2 bridge and marks the northern end of the state-designated Choctawhatchee River Blueway paddling trail.
Pittman Ferry played an important role in the last stand of the Creek Indians east of the Mississippi River. Learn the story by clicking play on this video:
Pittman Ferry served as a landing for paddlewheel riverboats into the 20th century and – as the name implies – was the location of an early ferry crossing.
Today’s East Pittman Creek Landing is a beautiful little bluff-top park area. Amenities including a paved boat ramp, picnic tables, grill and portable toilets. The park is open daily and is just off State Road 2 at the end of Choctawhatchee Lane.
The Washington County Historical Society hosted an unveiling ceremony today for a new marker at the South Third Street Historic District in Chipley, Florida.
Members of the historical society were hand for the unveiling, as were city and county officials and citizens of the area.
Here’s a quick video clip of the actual unveiling:
The marker was funded by a donation from area author and historian Dale Cox and is the third he has funded in the area.
He indicates that other citizens are joining with him to fund two additional markers that will be placed later this year at Chattahoochee in Gadsden County and Two Egg in Jackson County. Work is also underway to mark historic sites in Holmes County.
The text for the new South Third Street Historic District marker was written by members of the Washington County Historical Society:
SOUTH THIRD STREET
Designated a Historic District in 1989.
This street is one of the first residential areas in Chipley. Though a railroad town in the beginning, Chipley was, and remains primarily an agricultural center. Notable due to an array of late 19th & 20th century homes which served as residences to many of Chipley’s most prominent citizens. The district began developing less than 10 years after Chipley was founded along the tracks of the P&A Railroad, which reached here in 1882. The district appears today essentially as it has since the late 1930s.
The Historic District can be accessed by turning south onto Third Street from Historic U.S. Highway 90 by the Washington County Courthouse. The marker will be straight ahead on your right.
To see the many historic homes in the district, several of which are of the beautiful Queen Anne architectural style, continue past the marker and just drive along the street or enjoy a stroll along the street.
More information is available at the Washington County Historical Society Museum, 685 7th Street, Chipley, Florida 32428.
Orange Hill near Chipley is one of the highest hills in the State of Florida.
It was settled in the early 1800s and by 1842 was a thriving little community of farmers and planters. Among these was Stephen Perkins, a farmer and the head of a growing family that included his wife and four children.
Their dreams ended in disaster on August 31, 1842 when they were attacked by a party of Creek Indian warriors. Here is the full story:
The story of how and why the small band of Muscogee (Creek) Indians wound up in the area is equally tragic. They escaped into Florida from a concentration camp in Alabama after being attacked there by white outlaws.
From that time until 1844 they carried out occasional raids against frontier homes to obtain food, ammunition and other necessities.
When attacked in Alabama they had seen unarmed members of their group killed and assaulted and once in Florida they often took revenge during raids against frontier homes and farms.
Learn more about one such band of Creeks in this video:
Corey Jermaine Rivera-Allen, 18 of Marianna, and a 16-year-old Juvenile were taken into custody by officers of the Marianna Police Department with assistance from the State Fire Marshal’s Office.
Investigators made contact with the 16-year-old and determined that he had been on the scene. Further investigation led them to Rivera-Allen who was taken into custody at the Cottondale Village Apartments in Marianna.
The two are accused of setting the fire that devastated the historic Daffin Mercantile building adjacent to the CSX Railroad in Marianna. Officers believe that they entered the structure intending to burglarize it and then set the fire to cover their tracks.
Marianna Police Chief Hayes Baggett said that both fled the scene but are now in custody facing charges of Felony 2nd Degree Arson and Felony Burglary.
Baggett also said that officers are continuing to investigate the fire and asks that anyone with information please contact the Marianna Police Department at (850) 526-3125 or CrimeStoppers at 850-526-5000.
He thanked the Florida State Fire Marshal’s Office Bureau of Fire and Arson Investigation, the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office and Marianna Fire, Jackson Fire Rescue and other agencies for their assistance.
The oldest part of the building destroyed by the fire was built in circa 1905 and Daffin Mercantile – later Daffin Food Service – had been a landmark Marianna business for more than 100 years.
Daffin Mercantile was founded in the 1800s by Robert Dale Daffin and was a family business tradition in the Daffin and Milton families of Marianna. Hundreds of Jackson County residents worked there through the years.